Monday, April 1, 2013

Mini


Even though I have not participated in this blog thus far, I thoroughly enjoy all the things you have shared.  You are all so articulate and intelligent and express your thoughts extremely well.   But since I had something that demonstrated acts of service on the part of several people I thought I would share.

My experiences with dogs have never been that wonderful.  I have been bitten by a dog.  I have been chased by a dog in Richfield when I was little, which caused me to get separated from my cousin and lost. And the two dogs we had when I was young, Sparky and Chief, were not very well trained and would jump up on us.  However, I did try to connect with Sparky and there might even be a picture somewhere of me with that dog.  Chief was more Carl's dog.

Although I have never been much of a pet or a dog person I did have a recent experience I would like to share. Pam Smith was going out of town to Michigan and then Texas to visit her daughters Kendra and Summer, respectively.  Her little black dog Mini had recently been having seizures which they attributed to possibly epilepsy.  They were able to treat her with medication and valium to calm her down, especially while Pam would be out of town.  Sharlee Doxey volunteered to take care of Mini while the Smiths were out of town.  I volunteered to walk her a few times a week and she hired Beth Ericson to take her on some afternoon walks.  Meg Donaldson offered to walk with me.

Everything was going pretty well. After a few days, Mini had adjusted to Sharlee's house.  Meg and I were enjoying our walks with Mini (even while it snowed on us).  On one walk Meg and I discussed the movie Marley and Me (recommended to be watched with clear play)  and the book it was based on, which Lee and Meg Donaldson had read. I mentioned how the movie gave me a greater appreciation for how much people can come to love their pets and more empathy for their feelings when they lose them.  I believe the book was based on newspaper columns written about a family's adventures with their dog.

One Wednesday Meg couldn't come.  It was a beautiful day and I took Mini on a glorious walk by myself.  She trotted happily along occasionally stopping to sniff and enjoy. As far as I know this was the last walk Mini went on.   Thursday night Mini started to have seizures.  She had seizures for several hours with Sharlee looking after her all night.  In the morning Michael Smith took her to the vet where they had to put her down.  They determined she most likely had a brain tumor instead of Epilepsy.  They buried her in Pam's father's backyard.  Ron and Pam arrived home a few days later.

Mini was a very beloved dog by many of the neighborhood who had interacted with her on several of Pam's many walks over the years.  She was  also loved by Pam's piano students, by those who walked with Pam, and of course the Smith family. Of all the dogs I have come into contact with she was my favorite. It was comforting to Pam to know that she was well cared for the last two weeks of her life especially by  Sharlee and by others who loved her.  We will all miss Mini!

MOM



No comments:

Post a Comment